[sac-user] Porting of SAC compiler on FPGA

Scholz, Sven-Bodo S.Scholz at hw.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 18:13:20 CEST 2018

Dear Rosario,

Compilation to LLVM-IR should be trivial as we generate C code as intermediate code….
transforming LLVM-IR into HDL is a different matter altogether. You may be able to use some
high-level synthesis tool such as C-to-Verilog but I doubt that a) it will always be able to deal
with the IR generated from the C code generated from SaC b) the generated hardware
would be particularly efficient.

Most likely, one would have to tweak the C code generated from SaC sources….

but it would surely be an interesting experiment!

It should be possible to generate LLVM-IR by simply installing our compiler distribution
and then using LLVM as C compiler. This can be rather trivially achieved by manipulating
a single resource file….

regarding how to leverage the resource file once you / your students have the compiler installed…. :-)

Best wishes,
     Bodo