[sac-user] sac2c options

Clemens Grelck c.grelck at uva.nl
Mon Jan 3 13:04:27 CET 2011

Juhasz David wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried to use the '-d syscall' option on sac2c, but the compilation failed with the following error:
> ERROR: Invalid command line entry: sac2c  -d
> The '-d nocleanup' and '-d cccall' options cause the same error.
> I use the most updated downloadable release, sac2c-1.00-beta-linux-i386.

I fixed the inconsistencies between option documentation and interpretation
in the product version of sac2c. Since this is not critical, it will become
available with the next release.

> Another problem is the cache simulation feature. I do not know how it works exactly...
> I tried compile with '-cs -csdefaults sagf' options, but the executable doesn't create any memory trace file.
> Does anybody have idea how to get to operate?

You're doing everything right. Please, go to
   http://www.sac-home.org/index.php?p=.%2F66_Support
and file a bug report.

Cache simulation is a compiler feature that probably no-one has used for
ages. One of the reasons is that today cache profilers like cachegrind
exist that most likely do a better job because they make use of processor
hardware counters while the sac2c compiler feature rather simulates a
a cache model.

> By the way, I look into the multithreaded implementation with PThreads, and I'd like to see the source code of SaC library to know how the worker threads are initialized and how they do their work with master_flag and spmd_function. :) Is that source available to study?

At the moment, sac2c is not open source, although we have been discussing
this for quite a while now.

I suggest you have a look at the various publications that give a relatively
clear picture of what is going on at runtime:
  http://staff.science.uva.nl/~grelck/publications/GrelckJFP05.pdf
  http://staff.science.uva.nl/~grelck/publications/GrelckPDCN03.pdf
  http://staff.science.uva.nl/~grelck/publications/GrelckIFL98.pdf

Happy new year,
   Clemens

--
Dr Clemens Grelck                                     Science Park 904
Universitair Docent                                  1098 XH Amsterdam