[sac-user] print function alternatives?

Clemens Grelck c.grelck at uva.nl
Wed Aug 11 00:27:49 CEST 2010

Robert Bernecky wrote:
> Formatting higher-order numeric matrices for
> printing is trivial. However, if you want to
> plot or display that information, you end up
> having to do custom formatting that is not
> amenable to canned formatters.
>
> Also, most common industrial applications of formatting
> involve adding row and column titles, footer and
> header info, etc.,

yes.

> If you try to push this into a single FORMATANDPRINT()
> function, you end up with something that has to accept
> an arbitrary number of arguments. Even then, real
> applications will fall outside the capabilities of
> such functions, unless you give the formatter/printer
> the power of a computer language itself. Learning
> a formatting language on top of computer language
> generally is not worth it.

What I don't get is why the absence of printing shall
simplify the job of formatting. These two issues are
pretty orthogonal to me. So, software engineering principles
demand their separation, but resource issues may demand
their interleaving. Unless the performance issue is irrelevant,
of course. If you are so sure about this, then my argument is
irrelevant according to my own line of reasoning.

  Clemens

--
Dr Clemens Grelck                                     Science Park 107
Universitair Docent                                  1098 XG Amsterdam