[sac-user] print function alternatives?

Robert Bernecky bernecky at snakeisland.com
Mon Aug 9 16:00:06 CEST 2010

Formatting higher-order numeric matrices for
printing is trivial. However, if you want to
plot or display that information, you end up
having to do custom formatting that is not
amenable to canned formatters.

Also, most common industrial applications of formatting
involve adding row and column titles, footer and
header info, etc.,

If you try to push this into a single FORMATANDPRINT()
function, you end up with something that has to accept
an arbitrary number of arguments. Even then, real
applications will fall outside the capabilities of
such functions, unless you give the formatter/printer
the power of a computer language itself. Learning
a formatting language on top of computer language
generally is not worth it.

Bob